What are the common issues in a divorce?
- Custody & Child Support: if you and your spouse have children, then custody and visitation of the child(ren) and child support may be an issue. Please see the following sections for more information about custody and child support.
- Maintenance: also known as alimony or spousal maintenance, may be an issue in your divorce case. The Court will look at a variety of factors to determine if either spouse is entitled to receive maintenance from the other, the amount of the maintenance, and the duration of the payments.
- Property and Assets: marital property will be equitably distributed in the divorce action. This will include, among other things, real property, personal property, vehicles, bank accounts, life insurance and retirement/pension accounts.
- Debts: marital debts will also be equitably distributed in the divorce action. This will include, among other things, mortgages, loans, and credit cards.
- Enhanced Earnings: if you or your spouse earned certain educational/vocational degrees or licenses during the marriage, this may be an issue in your divorce action.
- Each divorce case is different and the facts of your specific case will determine what issues are involved.
Posted in: DIVORCE FAQ